Funeral services Portsmouth Havant

Independent Funeral Directors in Hampshire
24 Hour Service, 7 Days a Week



Sensible Funeral Service Advice when someone passes away.


Lee Fletcher Funeral Services completely understand and appreciate that losing a loved one is a devastating time for family members and friends. For those who have been entrusted with arranging the funeral, it can be an incredibly hard situation to handle but we would like to reassure you that we are here to help you at every stage. We hope the following information can help make things a little easier for you.

Please feel free to contact us at any time, by calling us you will always be able to speak to a qualified funeral director, even if the call is out of our usual office hours. We will be able to advise you on what to do next and can help to plan your actions over the next day or so, depending on the particular circumstances. The most common stages of action can be seen below.

 Lee Fletcher Funeral Services



What to do when a death has occurred

When a death occurs, many people are unsure who to contact, and when.
Most deaths occur at home or in hospital and the procedures involved differ slightly.


At Home:

When someone dies at home, the first contact should be with the family doctor - they will normally call at the house and, if satisfied with the cause of death, will issue the Medical Cause of Death Certificate. This certificate will normally be collected from the surgery the following day. Once the doctor has attended, you will be required to contact us to arrange for us to call at your home, where we will bring your loved one into our care at our dedicated chapel of rest at 95 High Street Cosham, where they will remain up until the day of the funeral.


In Hospital/Nursing Home:

When a person dies in hospital or nursing home, the staff available will have made the necessary arrangements for the doctor to issue the Medical Cause of Death Certificate. You will be advised as to when and where to collect it.  We will be advised by the Nursing Home staff when we are required to attend to collect your loved one. 

If they have died in the hospital, we will require the Hospital Clearance Notification form immediately as timescales have been imposed by Portsmouth National Health Service Trust as authorisation to bring your loved one into our care.


When the Coroner is Involved:

In some cases a death may be reported to the Coroner. There are several reasons why the Coroner may be involved; it may simply be that a doctor has not seen the deceased for a set period of time before death (usually over fourteen days). The Coroner and their Officers are working in your interests. No doctor will issue a Medical Cause of Death Certificate in these circumstances, as the required information will be sent directly by the Coroner to the Registrar's office in the district where the death occurred.

We are always available for help and advice on anything you are unsure about. You can contact us here.

Please note: Funeral arrangements can be made before registering the death, we will however not be able to book the funeral service until after registration.


Registering the Death

By law all deaths in England and Wales must normally be registered within five days. If you have the Medical Cause of Death Certificate, you should make an appointment to register as soon as possible. If the Coroner is involved, he will advise you when to register.


 What information does the Registrar require?

  • The date and place of death
  • The full name and surname of the deceased (and maiden surname if the deceased was a married woman)
  • The date and place of birth
  • The occupation and the name and occupation of her Husband (if the deceased was a married woman)
  • The usual address
  • Whether the deceased was in receipt of a pension (i.e. Navy or Teaching pension)
  • If the deceased was married, the date of birth of the widow or widower

 What documents will the Registrar require?

  • The Medical Cause of Death Certificate (if the death has not been referred to the Coroner)
  • The deceased's medical card, birth certificate and, if applicable, marriage certificate
  • Any book or document relating to any pension or allowance the deceased received from any public funds
  • It may be that some of these are not available, as long as you can supply the Registrar with this information, then there should be no problem
  • You will be required to book an appointment with the Registrar


Registrar's Addresses and Opening Times


Registering a death in the County of Hampshire

Fareham - 4-8 Osborn Road South, Fareham PO16 7DG

Gosport - 1st Floor, Gosport Discovery Centre, High Street, Gosport PO12 1BT

Havant - 1st Floor, Havant Library, Meridian Centre, Havant PO9 1UN
Havant - Havant Plaza, Civic Centre Road, Havant PO9 2AX

Petersfield - Petersfield Library, 27 The Square, Petersfield GU32 3HH

TEL: 0300 5551392 
Phone lines open Monday-Friday 8.00am - 8.00pm, Saturday 9.30am - 4.00pm

You can also book an appointment to register in the County of Hampshire online at


Registering a death in the City of Portsmouth

Portsmouth - Milldam House, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth PO1 3AF
TEL: (023) 92829041
Phone lines open Monday - Friday 9:00am - 4.30pm

At any time should you have any questions at all, please contact us and we will be happy to help.

Lee Fletcher Funeral Services




After the funeral




Bereavement Support

The Counselling Directory provides a huge support network of counsellors, enabling visitors to find a counsellor close to them and appropriate for their needs.
Click here for more information.


Wessex Cancer Support Services

Lee Fletcher Funeral Services
Our local cancer support centres offer Free, non-clinical support to anyone affected by a diagnosis of cancer, these include counselling, complimentary therapies and a befriending service.

Click here for more information.

Other helpful sites

Please find their websites by clicking the following images:

Funeral service AdviceFuneral service Advice



Help with funeral costs

The following information should be treated as general guidance only. We are not able to guarantee the availability of a loan, but we do understand how the Department of Works and Pensions makes a decision.





You may be entitled to receive help with the funeral costs if there is not enough money to settle the account and if you are responsible for making the funeral arrangements. You would need to be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  •  Housing Benefit
  •  Family Credit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Disabled Person Tax
  •  Creditor Jobseekers Allowance



Please click the image below to be taken to the Department of Works and Pensions "Funeral Payments" web page:





For information regarding probate, please click here to be redirected to the Probate Bureau for free advice, help and support.

How to obtain probate

When someone dies somebody has to deal with their estate (the money, property and any possessions left) by collecting all the assets, paying any debts and distributing the estate to those entitled. The Probate Registry issues the documents needed. This is called Grant of Representation.

There are three types of Grant

  • Probate issued to one or more of the executors named in the will.
  • Letters of Administration (with a will) issued when there is a will but no executor named, or the executor is unable to deal with the estate.
  • Letters of Administration issued when the deceased has not made a will, or if the will is not valid.



Why is a Grant necessary?

Organisations holding money in the name of the deceased need to know whom the money is to be paid.
The distribution of the estate is the responsibility of the person named on the deed.

Is this Grant always needed?

If the deceased's money will be released without the holder seeing a grant, if the amount concerned is small and there are no complications, a grant may not be needed.

Consult a Solicitor

In most circumstances, it is advisable to consult a Solicitor. This will relieve you of many worries as the Solicitor will take control of the will, problems of intestacy, outstanding debts, grants and letters of administration. A Solicitor could save you a great deal of unnecessary trouble, and in the long run save you money. If it is known that a will was made, it is important that the contents be ascertained as soon as possible after death in case it contains instructions for the funeral. A will may be kept with personal papers, at a bank or with a Solicitor.



You can contact us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We are here to help you in difficult times and can offer advice and support when you need it most.


Contact Us

Shopping Basket